The Unclosed door...Part 6

Bola looked up and saw me where I was glued to and she immediately ran towards me.
“Layoo my baby, I am so proud of you…Congratulations” She hugged me and took the award from me.
Just then Uncle Jide moved closer to us and also congratulated me. As he was about to hug me just like Bola did, I mumbled one excuse and started walking away from the two of them. Bola told Uncle Jide she would see him around and followed me.
“Layo Layo, this your Uncle Jide is not bad o. why didn’t you tell me he is as handsome and intelligent as this?”
“Bola he is…”
“And he is such a good person” Bola cut me short before I could tell her I was in a relationship with Uncle Jide.
“Layo… on a second thought, I need to talk to him about something. I will meet you in the hall”
Bola turned back to go and meet Uncle Jide. I wanted to stop her but I felt really weak, like I would faint. I couldn’t afford to have another health crisis especially not on my last day in High school so I kept on walking towards the hall.
“Layo Layo my scholarly bestie…. You don’t want me to take pictures with your award abi…your plans have failed”
My eyes were apparently red because Tayo had to stop her jokes to ask me if I had been crying and why I looked so distressed. I told her I was okay and that I was just overwhelmed because we were leaving high school.
“But you are not leaving me na, we still have each other. You still remember our goal right?" I looked at her face and couldn’t help but smile.
“Yes I do”
“Best friends forever” we both echoed and hugged each other.
At that moment, I felt strong and relieved even though I couldn’t keep my eyes off Uncle Jide and Bola. I told myself that I was just being jealous.
Bola graduated not quite long so they were most likely talking about student life in their alma mata. Won’t I even be worried if Uncle Jide and Bola didn’t get along well? I decided to ignore the pain I was feeling in my heart. Never did I know that that was just the beginning of my heartache.
Uncle Jide and Bola grew closer and closer every day. Uncle Jide managed to stay in communication with me but it felt different. It looked like I was playing second fiddle.
Bola was posted to Abuja for her Youth Service and Uncle Jide was retained in the company where he served so they were both in Abuja. Bola never stopped chattering about every single thing Uncle Jide does. Bola always sounded happy anytime she talks about Uncle Jide; happier than I have ever seen her. It was obvious that she was genuinely into him.
One day, Bola called me on the phone and told me she wanted to ask me a question and that she wants me to give her a genuine answer. I was scared that she had found out. Even though, I was emotionally attached to Uncle Jide, I didn’t want a situation whereby I would be the reason why Bola would become unhappy.
“O..kay...what’s the question”
“Layo promise me you will answer honestly”
”I will…if I know the answer”
“So, does your Uncle Jide have a girlfriend? I am getting so attached to him Layo, I have never felt like this about any guy before. He makes me so happy. I just want to know so I can just get over him now before it is too late”
“Ermm…. I…Bola, I don’t know”
“Really, do you think Tayo will know?”
“I don’t think she knows too…on a second thought why don’t you find a way to ask him? I think he will be in the best position to know if he’s in a relationship.”
“Yeah… that’s true Layo. I will ask him and I will call you back to tell you what he says”
I wanted to tell her not to bother telling me but before I could say no, she ended the call. At that moment, I wasn’t sure I wanted to know my stand with Uncle Jide. I just wanted things to go back to the way it used to with Uncle Jide and I. Truth be told, I was missing him so much. I silently prayed that Bola forgets to call me back. I decided that even if she doesn’t forget, I would avoid her calls.
Bola didn’t forget to call just like I didn’t forget my decision. She called several times that Tayo had to ask me why I was avoiding her calls. Tayo was in my house for that period as we were both preparing to commence our first semester in the university and we wanted to plan and pack together.
When Bola couldn’t get to me on the phone, she sent me a text message. As the message popped in, I checked my phone unconsciously.
“Layo, I am so happy. Your Uncle Jide said he’s not in any relationship. Call me when you see this. Love you.”
In an instant, my eyes were filled with tears. I had been holding back my tears for long, hoping that I was just imagining that Uncle Jide is leaving me. It has become clear that I had been a fool and I couldn’t hold back the tears any longer.
“Layo, what is it?...Talk to me please…why are you crying?” I couldn’t utter a word. The more I stared at the text message, the more the tears came. Tayo snatched the phone from me and read the message.
“He said this?” I was sad and depressed but Tayo was infuriated.
“Why would he hurt you like this? This is so unfair. Layo please stop crying…please…everything will be fine. I will talk to him I promise”
I tried to stop the tears from flowing but the more I tried, the more the tears came. I eventually gave up. Throughout that day, I didn’t open my mouth; not to speak, not to eat. The only thing I did was cry.
It was then it occurred to me that Uncle Jide never told me to be his girlfriend. He only told me he loves me and I am the prettiest girl he has ever seen. He never told me that we were in a relationship; he only told me that he will never leave me. Could I have been in a relationship with myself? Or could it be that I was not good enough for him?
Bola was more attractive anyways especially because of her complexion. Bola is also a graduate;I just finished secondary school. I always knew I was too small for him but since I was convinced he loves me, I thought he would wait for me. Bola is a jovial girl, I am more of an introvert. Bola has a clean bill of health, I keep going from one health crisis to another.
At the end, I concluded; I wouldn’t pick me too if I were Uncle Jide. Bola is obviously more suitable for him and they are perfect together. More importantly, Bola is my only sibling and all her life she has been making sacrifices so that I can be happy and comfortable. This might be my only chance to make a sacrifice for Bola and I wasn’t going to lose that chance.
That night, I gave up on my love for Uncle Jide. Tayo wouldn’t hear of it but I insisted that I have made my decision and she should help me stick by it. When she saw that I wasn’t going to change my mind, she hugged me and assured me that I was going to be fine.
That day, life taught me a valuable lesson; a lesson probably too much for someone my age. I learnt that love alone is not enough to sustain any relationship. There are other equally important things. The first person I gave all my love to and who kept telling me he loves me and will never leave me was the same person that broke my heart into pieces. I didn’t have a choice; I took the lesson in good faith.
Life obviously didn’t see my age as a barrier…
To be continued...
Fantastic write up Lola...i was glued throughout!
ReplyDeleteSorry jare...the story still continues actually.
DeleteO ya, Keep it coming
Delete