The Unclosed door... Part 5

After the incident with Michael, Uncle Jide called me in the night and apologised for any embarrassment he might have caused me. He told me I wouldn’t understand but that he did that to protect me because he loves me. That was all I needed to hear. I was smiling uncontrollably for days.
Even though, Uncle Jide never asked me out but that was the confirmation I needed that we were in a relationship. I mean, why else will he tell me he loves me? I have always had a huge crush on him anyways. As far as I was concerned, everything was perfect.
For the next few months Tayo never kept quiet about how Uncle Jide will marry me and I will be her best friend/ sister-in-law. She told everyone that cared to listen that I was in a relationship with her brother who is a corper in Abuja.
Truth be told, I never genuinely cautioned her. I could no longer hide that I liked Uncle Jide and I was enjoying the respect my friends and classmates were giving me anytime they heard of my relationship. We equally had Youth corpers assigned to our school and we held them in high esteem. Being in a relationship with such a person that they respect a lot automatically put me in the “big girl class.”
Even though Uncle Jide was far away, he made sure he was in constant communication with Tayo and I. On our visiting days, he would call us on the phone and we will talk for hours about school and other things. Uncle Jide never stopped telling me that he loves me and that he will always be there for me. This continually made me feel very special even though I kept on wondering how he could be there for me when he was far away in Abuja.
Some weeks to our Mock Examinations, I fell seriously ill. Tayo was extremely worried as she usually is anytime I fall ill. She ran to the sick bay to call the nurse. I remember I couldn’t move my legs. To me, it was just one of my usual health crisis and I was sure I would bounce back in no time. It bothers me how every other person never sees it like that.
“Layo…can you try and stand up? Have you eaten anything today?”
That was the school nurse trying to get me out of bed. When it was clear she was not getting any response from me, she faced Tayo.
“We need to carry her to the sick bay.”
On our way to the sick bay, I started drifting. I could hear Tayo calling my name with tears in her eyes but I couldn’t respond. Eventually, I blacked out.
“Layo, I am here for you. You are not going to leave me. You will be fine, I promise”
I could hear someone talking to me but the voice was distant. Then I smelt him. I could smell Uncle Jide. Was I dreaming? Or was I in Abuja? I opened my eyes and saw myself in our family hospital. Then I saw him. His head was bent as he held my right hand.
“Un..cle…Jii…”
“Oh my God, you are awake!” He cut me off before I finished calling his name.
“Are you okay?”
“I am fine”
I lifted my hands and legs to show that I was doing well. Uncle Jide fell on his knees immediately and started thanking God that he brought me back to him.
“But Uncle Jide, what are you doing here?”
That was when he looked into my eyes and said “I have told you Layo; I will always be there for you.”
That day I knew for a fact that he meant everything he has ever said to me. Uncle Jide didn’t go back to Abuja until I became perfectly okay. He was with me at the hospital almost throughout the day every day. Even though Tayo had to be in school, she found a way of coming to the hospital to see me once. My parents were grateful to him and Tayo and continually prayed that the friendship between Tayo and I will never cease.
When I got back to school, things went back to normal and I was more convinced that Uncle Jide and I were in a relationship. Uncle Jide kept in contact with me but I didn’t see him again for a long time. In fact, the next time I saw him was on our Valedictory service. He had equally finished his service year and was back. On that day, I was really excited because I was finally leaving secondary school and also because I was going to see Uncle Jide after a long time.
“And the overall best graduating student award goes to….Layo Jacobs”
Admist the whistling and clapping, I walked forward majestically to collect my award. I had already bagged some awards earlier in some subjects but what I really aimed at was the overall best student award and I was glad I achieved my goal. I ran to hug my parents with my award. My mom couldn’t stop telling me how I have made her a proud mother. I was so excited.
“Where is Bola?”
“She stepped outside not quite long” Mom answered, facing the direction she went.
I stepped out of the hall in search of Bola so I could show her my award. It was then I saw him from a distance. He was looking so handsome. At that moment I was sure of what I felt for him; I had fallen for him.
Uncle Jide was talking to another person. From where I was, it looked like they were enjoying the conversation. In fact they were both laughing hard. I instantly felt jealous. I couldn’t make out the lady in question because of the distance but she was obviously all over him.
Why on earth was she holding him like that? I decided to take giant strides towards them so I could clearly understand what was going on. Just as I was approaching the duo, Uncle Jide dragged the lady to himself and hugged her. My heart stopped for a moment. I blinked so fast to be sure I was seeing correctly. From where I stood rooted to a spot, I was able to see the lady clearly.
It was Bola.
To be continued...
Waiting for the next episode
ReplyDelete